DIAA2016: “Africa’s Digital Revolution Leadership Medal of Honor” Award to Mr. Strive Masiyiwa
Kampala, Uganda, On 25th April 2016; The 3rd Digital Impact Awards Africa (DIAA2016) will present “Africa’s Digital Revolution Leadership Medal of Honor” award to Mr. Strive Masiyiwa, The Executive Chairman and Founder of the Econet Group. The award and honor that will be presented at Serena Kampala Hotel on August 18th 2016 is an appreciation of Mr. Strive Masiyiwa’s contribution to Digital Revolution in Africa.
Having started his electrical engineering business in Zimbabwe with an equivalent of US$75, Strive later diversified into telecoms whose first huddle was the refusal to grant him a license to operate Econet Wireless at that time. This was followed with a long court battle which resulted in a ruling, which led to the removal of the state monopoly in telecommunication and is regarded as one of the key milestones in opening the African telecommunications sector to private capital.
“Under Strive’s leadership, Econet has grown into a conglomate which is spearheading digital revolution across Africa and also pioneered financial inclusion with Ecocash which provides mobile financial services including savings and loans.” Innocent Kawooya, CEO HiPipo commented.
Strive leads successful ventures such as Liquid Telecom Group, Africa’s largest satellite and fibre optic business. Liquid Telecom provides data, voice and IP supplying wholesale optical fiber, satellite and international carrier services to telecommunications operators across Africa.
In 2016, Strive announced that, Econet Wireless, was launching a new Pay-TV service called ‘Kwesé TV’ that will be built around Econet’s core capabilities of satellite communications, fibre optic networks, and mobile services to deliver a new TV experience and value across Africa.
Strive, has additionally mentored hundreds of youth, business managers and entrepreneurs and is a great example of the efficient use of social media to share experience, motivate and mentor the African continent.
In light of his contributions to Africa’s Digital Revolution, #DIAA2016 jury found it noble to award and honor Mr. Strive Masiyiwa whose strategic leadership has been very instrumental to the digital progression Africa has witnessed over the last two decades.
“Maximising the Digital Dividend” is the theme of the DIAA because we believe in the transformative capacity of technology-based solutions. DIAA focus is on digital inclusion, financial inclusion and cybersecurity. Nomination submission entries are open and will close by May 15th 2016. DIAA includes:
• Medal of Honor: Awards for exceptional contribution to Africa Digital space, financial inclusion and Cybersecurity.
• Digital Inclusion Awards: Awards covering websites, mobile apps, social media, gadgets, platforms, e-commerce and e-services.
• Digital Financial Services Awards: Awards categories covering Mobile Money, Remittance Services, digital payments, Online/Mobile banking and Financial Inclusion.
• “Best Cybersecurity Practice” Award – In partnership with Cyberplc, this Award encourages organisations to treat cybersecurity as a business necessity.
• Digital Research – We are undertaking very exciting research on digital inclusion, financial inclusion and cybersecurity.